Tech industry heavyweights like Jason Calacanis have been praising Google+ for its traffic referral abilities, stating that sharing a link on Google+ is 20x more effective than on Twitter and 15x more effective than on Facebook. In the month since Google+ has launched we’ve seen it jump up to be the 3rd top referrer of traffic to many of our own blogs and websites, despite the current lack of business and brand profiles on Google+ and having far fewer followers on the Plus than on other services.
Other industry insiders have noted that posts on Google+ receive far more engagement from followers than on Twitter or Facebook. Diggnation co-host Kevin Rose is even ditching his personal blog for Google+, thrilled by the massive amount of comments he receives to his posts. We too find that Google+ users are far more likely to comment on our posts than Twitter or Facebook users, or even on the blogs themselves. Even better, rather than simply hitting “Like”, Google+ users are more likely to engage in actual conversations about the posts which is extremely valuable and inspiring.
Are you receiving mad traffic to your website from Google+? Are comments to your posts filling your notifications bar? Is this just because Google+ is the hot new thing or is Google really on to something here?
- Google announces Page Speed Service, a CDN to help speed up the web.
- RIM lays off 2000 workers. Blackberry users continue wishing they had iPhones.
- Nintendo to slash price of 3DS from $249 to $169 on August 12th.
- Jailbreakers find Facebook’s iPad app hidden inside the latest version of their iPhone app.
- Facebook for Business launches, helping technophobes make their businesses more social.
Google+ launched in late June to much fanfare among tech industry insiders and those lucky enough to score an invite. Now that you’ve pimped out your profile and organized your friends into circles based on their attractiveness, here are a few tips and tricks to help you get the most out of the hottest new social network:
- New to the plus and completely lost? This collaborative document explains just what the heck Google+ is and walks you through its major features.
- Want a short URL for your Google+ profile? Google hasn’t solved that yet but gplus.to has!
- Is your stream a bit too quiet? Lifehacker wrote an article on how to import your Facebook friends into Google+ so you have yet another place to creep on them.
- Hoping to get your business/brand on Google+ and start making the big bucks? Google warns to keep your panties on as profiles for businesses are still in the works.
- Were you the most popular kid in high school? How about on Google+? Chances are you’re no Mark Zuckerberg but SocialStatistics.com shows where you rank and what the most popular posts on the service are.
Stay tuned for more social media tips every Monday! Subscribe by RSS, Email, Facebook, or Twitter.